17 september 2015

The reading homework

AquaVera has started first grade and they have homework every single day. In addition to mathematics and spelling, they must also practice reading for at least 15 minutes.

But as the language they learn is Finnish (which I struggle with) my wife (AquaVera's mother) does that part. Yesterday I started to thought how I could help, relieve my wife and give my daughter another way to practice.

Minecraft.
How can we benefit from our gaming interest?

First I tried this and failed:

  • Lots of text in one sign was too hard.
  • One word at one sign didn't make sense, she didn't put together the words into sentences.

Instead, I started to make those animal pens. The keyword with both uppercase and lowercase letters and in her (second) mother tongue Finnish.

So what happened?

She began to spell out the word, pronounced each letter and put together words. The reward attracted, it was something as simple as put out the right block in the animal pen.

Suddenly she had cracked the code:
"L-A-M-M-A-S! Lammas! Det är ett får! It's a sheep dad!"


With traditional methods she was learning one (1) language, with game based learning she connected three (3) languages! The Power of Minecraft...

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar