19 september 2015

You are doing it wrong dad!

Doing it wrong?
According to who?
I still don't now what she - AquaVera - meant by that. Or, is it possible that learning can't be fun??

As I want to encourage her to read more I'd set up some tasks, a school, in our Minecraft world. Her teacher want the kids to practice reading for 15 min a day. So I told her the great news: "I've set up some reading exercises for you!"

And she started to scream: 
"Noooo! It's Saturday!!! I don't want to do homework!"

"OK", I told her, "if you change your mind later we can start Minecraft"
  1. "Minecraft!? wait! I'm coming!!"
  2. "You have to join me! Come! With YOUR computer dad...
But she did also let me know, I'm doing it wrong! And wrong, I have another approach to the problem as the teacher has ...but as she didn't want to hurt my feelings she tried. 


(Kalle (dad) is building a school)

But how to tell dad, the words were too long...?
She wanted to show me, rather than just tell me, what the problem was. 


"You see dad, we started with 2-letter words, then we continued with 3-letter words and now we try to learn 4-letter words!"

So I had to read the sentence, she corrected me and we discussed it in three (3) languages as she tend to start talk English in Minecraft. (She rehearse to be able to join Wizard Keen in a WonderQuest episode).

Then she started to do the reading exercises. "Kaksi lehmää" (two cows) and she found the right (cow) eggs. We continued to the sauna, kitchen and bedroom. She was confused. Every single room was empty, only signs on the wall.

We went out again, outside the room. Spelled S-A-U-N-A and entered the room with new courage: she understood the signs described what to build inside the sauna.

Benches wasn't a problem but the heater, or more exactly, the way she built the heater. Lava and wooden floor ain't a good solution, so she had to fill the room with water... When she had to build the shower, she went out to a test area just to be sure nothing more unwelcome should happen. I think her shower is brilliant, it's working in her fantasy and she has also both warm and cold water. And even if you don't have water you still need the edges.


By practice reading there's a lot of unintentional learning that occurs: 
  • lava = fire, you must be careful with fire
  • water extinguishes fire
  • experience changes the method
  • languages
  • math
So I started to wonder: 
What exactly is she learning?

Or even more interesting:
What does she feel she might be learning?
Is she aware of the learning process?

WHAT do you learn, WHEN do you do it and WHY do you learn? Big questions, but interesting ones.

AquaVera: 
I learn to read, when I practice, discuss and build. I learn because its fun and I can build it."

And I asked myself the same question: 
"I learn Finnish words, how they are pronounced and spelled. I learn when we are discussing and I learn because it is fun."

But again: How could this be wrong????
Is there really only one right way to learn???

Can't learning be fun???


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar